At the end of the 19th Century, Aulden Farm was then known as Aulden House and had an acre of ground. It was own by a Mr. Griffiths who earned his living as a builder and wheelwright. The original part of the property dates to the mid-17th Century and was a Moravian meeting house in the mid-19th Century before the modern brick extension was added about 1890.
It was purchased in 1996 by Alun & Jill Whitehead who had the dream of developing a garden on the then 3 bare acres surrounding the farmhouse. As visitors will know, this dream became reality and the garden is now home to a wide variety of plants, wild and cultivated, not forgetting the wildlife which may not be obvious, but certainly enjoys the space.
The remnants of the farm can clearly be seen from the old calving-stall, hay-barn, pig-stye and the not too steady hen house. These add to the relaxed atmosphere and lend themselves to an informal style. However, both informal and formal have been mixed to add a touch of quirkiness.
Jill & Alun are both keen plantaholics and over the years a depth of knowledge has been built up in irises. When a old collection of Siberian Iris fell into neglect, Alun & Jill acquired the remaining plants in 2007 and re-established it, with many additions, as a new National Collection. They also act as the Collection Co-ordinators for Plant Heritage in Herefordshire and have been Hardy Plant Society members for over 20 years.